Tutor/Mentor Connection

Connect knowledge, volunteers, youth and make a difference.

I started this forum to meet and connect people who want to share their time, talent and resources to help create more and better non school, volunteer-based programs that help inner city kids move through school and to jobs and careers.

This means, we could share links, we could link blogs, you could become a volunteer or a donor in a tutor/mentor program in Chicago or another city, or you could work with my organization to help us increase visibility and increase business involvement in tutor/mentor programs. If you work with youth, or in philanthropy, or have experise in collaboration, knowledge management, etc., you could add your link on my http://www.tutormentorconnection .org site.

You could also my link on your site so your visitors could benefit from the information on my site. You could participate in conferences I host in Chicago or on the Internet, or I could participate in events you host.
We might even start discussions in the Omidyar.net space that would discuss ways to help kids connect with volunteer tutors/mentors.

For instance, in November 2006 a $2 million donation was made to the Abraham Lincoln Marovitz Lend A Hand Program of the Chicago Bar Association. These funds will be distributed as grants to volunteer-based tutor/mentor programs in Chicago over the next 3-5 years. I've been working with lawyers and judges and people at the CBA since 1994 with this goal in mind.

If you're a lawyer, or the leader of a youth serving program in another city, we might work together to duplicate t his in your city. If you're a doctor, accountant, IT professional, or in another industry, or a university, we might work together to motivate your industry to set up a program like the LAH, in Chicago, or in another city.

All of these actions help make more and better tutor/mentor programs available to more disadvantaged youth.

I've been doing this work for more than 30 years. If you want to know more, read the rest of the intro below, or visit my blog at http://tutormentor.blogspot.com

I look forward to meeting others who are concerned with the same issues.

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Today the Chicago SunTimes Editorial Page encouraged people to think past the SuperTuesday elections, to ways they can volunteer time, talent and dollars to help make their communities better places for everyone to live, work, and raise families.

One of the categories they pointed to was tutoring, and the http://www.tutormentorconnection.org web site was listed as a resource.

On Monday I met with a group from the South Suburbs of Chicago and encouraged them to adopt the T/MC strategy for their own community. One of the first steps that I suggested was to learn about existing tutoring and/or mentoring programs in their region, and to encourage these programs to add their web site to the T/MC Chicago Programs section on the T/MC web site, and to the Chicago Program Locator.

Had they done this on Monday, or Tuesday, or even today, the million people who read the SunTimes daily would be able to find these links if they visited the T/MC web site and wanted to volunteer in the South Suburbs.

If you're in the Chicago region, Northern Indiana, Rockford or even southern Wisconsin, you can add your link to the T/MC web site. You can also request that we add a special section for your city, as someone did for Los Anageles. Or, you can build a similar directory, and link the directory to the T/MC site, and work with us to get more newspapers, businesses, churches, and celebrities to point to these links every day in their own efforts to improve education outcomes, the quality and diversity of the workforce, and the safety of our streets.

I host events every 3 months to try to encourage media to write stories, and to draw programs together to learn from each other. Visit http://www.tutormentorconference.org to see you you can take part in the May and November conferences.
One of the ways members of this group can have a role in supporting the growth of tutor/mentor programs, is by reaching out into your own networks, and the Internet, to find others who care about the same issues, or who are already doing similar work, and inviting them to join us here.... or posting links to their forums, so we can join them in their space.

If we increase the number of people and organizations who are connected we can do more to help kids in more place.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Daniel Bassill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service